A wave of joint airstrikes has allegedly sunk or crippled a minimum of eleven warships belonging to Iran starting Saturday, freshly analyzed aerial photos show, with launch facilities and enrichment plants also coming under fire.
Images of the southerly Konarak naval naval base and the Bandar Abbas facility, which is located on the Strait of Hormuz and contains the headquarters of the Iran's naval force, show plumes of smoke rising from multiple ships on the start of the week.
Included in the vessels destroyed was the IRINS Makran, the country's most sizable ship which had been used as a unmanned aerial vehicle platform. Satellite images indicated dark plumes emanating from the vessel which had been docked at the Bandar Abbas base.
Intelligence reports indicate that no fewer than a quintet of warships at Bandar Abbas were "struck or destroyed". Photos of the southern end of the harbor reveal plumes ascending from the Makran, while additional ships seem to be damaged, with a single one seen burning.
Over at Konarak, photos reveal numerous harmed vessels, with intelligence reports identifying damage to six ships. Images taken on Monday also demonstrate that several structures at the installation have been destroyed.
"For a long time the Tehran government has threatened commercial vessels," a senior US military official declared. "Today, there is not one vessel from Iran operational in the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Sea of Oman, and we will not stop."
Some vessels reportedly sunk may have been obscured in aerial photos by haze or plumes, or struck at sea, and have not been independently verified. Other accounts stated that a ship from Iran was going down off the coast of Sri Lankan waters, resulting in a search and rescue mission.
Eliminating Iranian missile bases and the stopping enrichment activities were stated as other goals of the air campaign. Aerial imagery also depicted impacts against the southerly Khorgu and northwestern Tabriz missile missile bases, and at the Konarak base, where missile storage facilities and fortifications were struck.
At the Choqa Balk-e drone drone base west of the city of Kermanshah, widespread destruction was observed to storage buildings, underground facilities and unmanned aircraft systems.
Destruction was also seen at a radar site at the Zahedan airbase airbase in eastern Iran, near the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Perhaps most notably, the latest wave of strikes have apparently hit sites at the Natanz complex – long said to be at the center of the country's enrichment efforts. An international watchdog commented that the damaged buildings were used for access to the site's underground enrichment facility and that "no release of radioactive material" was expected.
Observers stated that the strikes appeared to have "greatly reduced" the Iranian navy's capacity to sustain traditional warfare using its most significant warships. However, it was noted that Iran maintains the ability to launch irregular strikes at sea through the use of unmanned aerial vehicles, mini-submarines and its so-called "clandestine network" of tankers.
The full scale of the damage caused to Iran's defense infrastructure is still uncertain, with attacks said to be persisting. Photos also indicates extensive destruction to the main offices of the the IRGC in the city of Tehran.
A significant number of public facilities also appear to have been hit in the capital city and across Iran since the hostilities began. Toll estimates from local officials indicate that a high number of non-combatants may have been lost their lives in the bombardment.
With the conflict ongoing, analysis of aerial photographs will persist to track the evolving military landscape.
A seasoned financial analyst with over a decade of experience in wealth management and investment consulting, passionate about empowering others.